Friday, March 25, 2011

A Garden View - the Eastern Redbud Tree


It is a sure sign of spring, when my 6 year old Eastern Redbud tree starts blooming! The beautiful purple flowers and airy shape is stunning! Unfortunately, we have a big wind and rain storm coming in again today, and I'm afraid it will lose all the blossoms before they are fully opened. Each little bloom looks like a tiny sweet pea!
The botanical name is Cercis. There are 5 varieties that grown in the west, from shrubs to small (25-35 ft) trees. The flowers range in color, from white to magenta, and some are like tiny double roses. So far, there has been no issues with pests, it also grows quickly. The flowers give way to pretty heart shaped leaves in a few weeks.



Redbud branch in my hanging glass vase I got for my birthday!
This was the best investment ever! I love this tree - it is glorious in all seasons. Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

M.M.E. said...

It's so beautiful! I hope the rain isn't too hard on it. I still have to get out to a Japanese garden and take in the cherry blossoms before they're gone.

Annette said...

It's beautiful. I love the spring flowering trees! I'm hoping to get a dogwood this year.

Lori P said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! I love those trees. Don't you just want to put a big tarp over the top so the buds won't blow off? Is there truth to the saying that outward beauty is shortlived? Is that a saying? lol

Have a great week.