Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Beets baked in Stonehouse Blood Orange Olive oil

On our ferry trip to San Francisco, last summer, my friend and I shopped at the Ferry Building.



It is a beautiful building with an array of unique of restaurants and  specialty markets filled with fish, chocolates, cheeses, olive oil, breads and more. We stumbled upon a shop called Stonehouse and were able to taste test a number of products. I found one olive oil that sounded sooo good, and it is my favorite olive oil ever. Thank goodness you can purchase it online, since I'm almost out.!
 It is extra virgin, blood orange. It has the freshest fruit taste of any flavored olive oil I have ever tried. I have splashed it on fish, salads, roasted veggies, you name it! You can always taste the orange no matter how you use it.

Today, I give you a recipe for baked beets.


We love to use golden beets, they have a milder, sweeter taste than red and you don't dye anything red, like counters, hands, etc! Just peel and slice one bunch of golden beets. Put into a small covered casserole dish and toss them with 1 or 2 tbls. of Stonehouse blood orange olive oil. Add a very small amount of water and bake at 350* till tender (about 1 hour). Remove from oven and cool a bit, salt and pepper to taste and toss again with 1 tbls of Orange Muscat Champagne vinegar, from, wait for it, Trader Joe's! (I swear, they should start paying me)! You can also use a good balsamic. Absolutely delicious served warm or room temp! Enjoy!


2 comments:

Angie said...

YUM .. thanks for sharing.

Joy said...

I absolutely LOVE their blood orange olive oil, and you made good use of it with beets. :)