Saturday, February 5, 2011

Studio Re-do...It all started here......

My daughter got married and moved out of her room. I always loved it, it has a north and east window and is always bright. I jumped at the chance to use it as a craft room. And so started the 2 year evolution of my studio!


the beginning
metro shelves are great, but too tall and overwhelmed the room


So I moved the metro into the closet and ended up with a mess, as I collected more fabric and paper crafts.
It's time to Purge!!!
I have only one full wall in the room,and two metro shelves that were too high. I almost bought some new shelves, but didn't really want to spend that much money. So I finally asked the key question, do they make shorter poles??? YES!!! the metros came out of the closet. I also found some nice looking and practical boxes to separate my fabrics, and actually fit on the shelves. WooHoo! Now we are getting some were!  As I started arranging the room, I looked at the walls that were painted years ago. They looked like someone took a machine gun to them!!! I've never been shy about nailing holes into the walls! I needed a neutral color, so my daughter suggested I look at one of her favorite blogs The Inspired Room . She discovered a color from Behr paints called Studio Taupe. Perfect!



The lowered metro shelves left space above for some art (mostly my daughter's). I painted the old door, used as a work table, with a faux  granite finish Tutorial here





Wire strung across the window to display some favorite things. I love the view!! 

While there will always be some tweaking, I think this room is finally ready for some serious creations! I really am blessed to have such a great space, truly done on a dime (or two).  What a great way to start the new year!!!

8 comments:

Lori P said...

This is GORGEOUS!!! I'm going to take a couple of your photos for my private "inspiration" stash - maybe someday I'll have a pretty studio, too. (sigh)

Seriously, I love everything you've done and I'll just bet you're loving that light. Enjoy!

Angie said...

it's beautiful .. great job! Thanks for sharing some of your ideas!

debi said...

Thank you! I really do like it. Now to start stocking my poor neglected esty shop!!!

Cori@WhereYouHangYourHeart.com said...

Beautiful!! That color turned out much lighter than I thought- that's good! I love the shelves too! That's a great room.

debi said...

Thanks Cori. It did look dark at first, but it turned out great! I love the color!

Annette said...

What a fabulous workspace! I really like the paint color and the idea of hanging things in the window. Great job!!

Sharon said...

What a great space! You have encouraged me to do some work on my studio--it's a disaster right now!

The paint color is super!

Susanne said...

What a wonderful re-do. Good for you for reusing the shelves - ingenious. And I must say, the faux granite faked me out.